Servings: 8 / Prep time: 10 mins / Marinate: Overnight / Cook time: 2 hrs
- 3 lbs Pork roast, cut into 2-in pieces
- 3 oz achiote paste
- 1 jar Mölli Yucatan marinade
- 2 large banana leaves or 2 pieces of parchment paper
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 habanero peppers, roasted, seeded and sliced
- Place achiote paste and Yucatan marinade in a blender. Mix until fully dissolved. Pour mixture in a large glass bowl. Add meat to mixture, making sure that all parts are covered by the liquid. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator overnight, or at least, 3 hours.
- Remove meat from oven. Preheat oven to 325F degrees. Meanwhile, place red onion in a bowl, add the orange and lime juices, habanero peppers and salt. Let stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
- If using banana leaves, hold leaves directly over the flame on the stove for a few seconds, until they change to a dark green color.
- Line a rectangular baking dish with leaves or parchment paper forming an “X” (place one the long way and the other the short way). Place pork and marinade on top of the leaves. Fold the ends of the leaves or parchment over the pork, moistening the leaves lightly so they don’t burn. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 2 hours. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Uncover and shred meat with two forks. Serve the roasted pork in achiote with warm corn tortillas and the onions for garnish. Provecho!