Instant Pot Mexican Carnitas. Certainly an all time favorite that you can enjoy at home without having to spend hours in the kitchen. It is essential to serve with a Tomatillo-based hot sauce (salsa)!
- 3 tbsp. lard or canola oil
- 3 lb. skinless bone-in pork shoulder, cut into 3" pieces
- Kosher salt to taste
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 8 cloves garlic peeled and smashed
- 1 large white onion roughly chopped
- 2 limes juiced (or about 2 tbsp)
- 2 oranges juiced (or about 3/4 cup)
- 1 bottle Molli Jalisco Taqueria Hot Sauce
- 8 wedges Lime
- 1/2 Onion chopped
- 1/2 bunch cilantro roughly chopped
Set Instant Pot to “Saute” setting. Add lard and let it melt.
Season pork with salt; add to IP and brown on all sides, about 5-7 minutes.
Add milk, garlic, onion, and lime and orange juices; place lid on IP. Select "Meat" setting, and adjust timer to 30 minutes. Make sure that vent is on "sealing". When done, let pressure release naturally.
Let pork cool and transfer to a cutting board; chop into bite-size pieces. Strain cooking liquid and return to pan; stir in pork and keep warm.
Serve carnitas on tortillas with Molli Jalisco Taqueria Hot Sauce; garnish with chopped cilantro and onion. Serve lime wedges on the side. Provecho!
If you want to use your Crock Pot instead, simply add all ingredients to the pot, cover, and set to 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.