GREEN ENCHILADA SIMMER SAUCE
(FORMERLY MEXICO CITY COOKING SAUCE)
Enchiladas Verdes are a breakfast, lunch, or dinner staple in most Mexico City homes. True to its Aztec origins, our Green Enchilada simmer sauce is full of “fire and spice”. Bright red and potent Arbol chile peppers are first sautéed with onion and garlic, to enhance flavor and heat. Then, they are blended with zesty tomatillos, originally grown by the Aztecs, to capture the true taste that remains at the heart of Mexico City.
Tasty Cheese Enchiladas Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Wrap 8 corn tortillas in plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Roll ¼ cup shredded Mozzarella cheese into each tortilla (if you want to follow tradition, substitute cheese with shredded cheese)
- Place side-by-side in an 8-inch baking dish, seam-side down.
- Completely cover tortillas with Green Enchilada simmer sauce, and sprinkle with ½ cup of cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until hot.
You can also make the perfect Chilaquiles verdes, savory Huevos Rancheros, Pork in Salsa Verde, and many more classic Mexican dishes. Find nutrition facts and a full list of ingredients here.