Servings: 4 / Prep time: 10 mins / Cook time: 1 hr 10 mins
- 1 cup dry chickpeas
- 1 tbsp cooking oil or ghee
- 1/2-inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp tamarind puree
- 1 jar Mölli Veracruz cooking sauce
- 4 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Soak chickpeas overnight in 4 cups of water. Drain, then put them in a large saucepan with 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, spooning off any foam from the surface. Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour, or until soft. Drain.
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan. Fry ginger for 1 minute. Add the chickpeas, sugar, coriander, cumin, garam masala and a pinch of salt. Stir, then add the tamarind and Veracruz cooking sauce and simmer for 3 minutes. Add 1 cup of water, bring to a boil and cook until the sauce thickens. Stir in cilantro leaves. Serve sweet, spicy and sour chickpeas with a side of bread. Provecho!
TIP: Substitute dry chickpeas for 2 cans of cooked chickpeas. Drain and follow step 2.