Servings: 6-8 / Prep time: 15 mins / Cook time: 2 hrs 30 mins / Soak overnight
- 4 cups Dry Black beans (soaked overnight)
- 5 slices Bacon finely; chopped
- 1 White onion diced
- 1 Red Bell pepper; cut into 1/4″ dices
- 3 Garlic Cloves smashed
- 1 Jalapeno pepper seeded and sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 Can Pilsner Beer
- 1 1/2 tsp Dry oregano
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1/2 cup Mölli Mexico City Cooking Sauce
- 1.5 Qt Chicken broth; reduced sodium
- 1 (28 oz) Can Whole tomatoes; crushed with your hand
- In a large pot, saute the bacon until it has rendered most of its fat. Add the onion, red bell pepper, garlic and jalapeno. Cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables are soft but not browned.
- De-glaze the pan with the beer, add oregano, bay leaf, Mexico City Sauce, chicken broth, tomatoes, and the black beans. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for 2 1/2 hours. Season with salt to taste. Serve over Spanish-style rice with plenty of juice. Provecho!