Servings: 4-6 / Ready in: 30 mins
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- 12 oz Bacon, thinly sliced
- 1 Red onion, cut into ¼” half moons
- 2 Garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 jar Veracruz Cooking Sauce
- 1 lb Short pasta shapes
- Freshly grated Queso Cotija or Parmigiano
- Cook the Penne following the package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan, combine the olive oil, bacon, onion and garlic; set over low heat and cook until onion is softened and the bacon has rendered much of its fat, about 10 minutes.
- Drain all but 2 tbsp of the fat out of the pan. Add the Veracruz sauce, bring to a boil, lower heat to simmer and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain pasta. Add the pasta to the simmering sauce and toss for 1 minute to coat. Serve immediately, topped with freshly grated Cotija or Parmigiano cheese. Provecho!
TIP: Make it a vegetarian pasta, simply saute red onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and follow the rest of the recipe.