Servings: 4-6 / Prep time: 10 min / Cook time: 10 min / Marinate: overnight
- 1 1/2 lbs well-trimmed, thin-cut, boneless pork steaks, cut from the shoulder or leg OR 1 1/2 pounds thin-cut, boneless pork chops
- 3/4 cup Molli Yucatan Marinade
- 1 1/2 pounds red onions, peeled, halved, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 small habanero chile, sliced
- Place pork steaks into a resealable plastic bag and pour Mölli Yucatan Marinade. Seal, place in the refrigerator and let marinade overnight.
- Meanwhile, toss red onions, salt and oregano in a large glass bowl. Add lime juice and vinegar; press down to submerge onions. Add habanero chile to onion mixture. Top mixture with small plate to weigh down slightly. Cover; refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, light a charcoal fire and let it burn until all the coals are medium- hot and covered with gray ash. Remove pork from marinade. Pat pork steaks dry thoroughly with paper towels.
- Working with a couple of pieces at a time, grill the pork: let it sear about 2 minutes on one side, then flip it over and sear on the other. (The total cooking time for 1/8-inch pork steaks over a very hot fire will be no more than 3 or 4 minutes.) Lay the meat slightly overlapping down the center of the platter and strew the onions over the meat. Decorate with a few cilantro sprigs and serve without delay, accompanied by baskets of hot corn tortillas. Provecho!